/* */

July 20, 2009

Jicama,Cucumber, Watermelon and Orange Salad


The temperatures have been soaring here ( we are talking triple digits here) and I have no inclination to stand in front of the stove. We try to cook early in the morning and if we miss that, then we make do with salads, sandwiches, fruit juices etc.

We love the crispness of Jicama, but have never used it myself. This is a refreshing salad and I love that Jicama does not turn soft or soggy even after you refrigerate the salad and have it after a day or two.


English Cucumber - 1
Jicama- 1 cup
Watermelon- 2 cups, Chopped in large chunks
Orange - 1/2 an orange, cut in segments
Orange Juice- Juice the other half
Orange Zest- 1/4 tsp
Basil- 2 tsp ( I used Daregal)
Sugar- 1/2 tsp
Sea salt - to taste

We used the pampered chef Julienne peeler to peel Jicama and English cucumber. It has perfect texture, size and consistency when you use it and most importantly looks pretty!

  • In a bowl, whisk orange juice, orange zest, sugar, basil and salt well.
  • Toss all the other ingredients and stir gently.
  • Check for seasonings and adjust to your taste.
Serve chilled!

Can a recipe be even simpler?Stay cool!

I missed my early morning mark to cook since I was blogging, so leftovers today:)
Updated with link to what Jicama is for those unfamiliar to this tuberous root.
Posted by Picasa

Labels: , , ,