/* */

May 06, 2006

Our Saturday Meal


Since I love to cook, I decided to incorporate that in my blog as well. I have decided to add one recipe a week. We are trying to eat healthy, here is one of the recipes

Sprouted Moong Dhal Kozhambu
Ingredients
Moong Dhal - 3 Cups (sprouted)

Tomato - 2
Onion - 1/2
Red Chillies - 2
Tamarind paste - 1 tsp
Cumin - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds and urad dhal for tadka - 1 tsp
Coconut milk - 2 tbsps
Rasam or sambhar powder - 1 tsp
Potato - 1/2 diced into cubes
Fry the onion,red chillies and tomato in a tsp of oil and let it brown.

Grind the tomato, red chillies, tomatoes along with the tamarind paste and coconut milk.
In a pan with a tsp of oil, do the tadka , added the cooked moong dhal ,potatoes and the ground mixture along with the sambhar powder and let it simmer.
Add salt to taste and coriander leaves for garnish. Serve with piping hot basmati rice.
I got the inspiration to make this from http://onehotstove.blogspot.com/2005/12/m-is-for-moogambat.html.

Since my husband comes from a family of meat eaters, he craves for it. My family on the other hand would not even touch an egg, anytime I have even tried to talk about meat in my house, my mom and sis would almost
throw up and I would roll on the floor with fits of laughter. My dad would say, "indha tirunvelvelli saiva pillai vittil yarum meanai koduvandhal pichiduven"( I will belt you if you bring fish in to this vegetarian's house) I used to always pull my mom's legs about bringing meat home. Soon we moved into a house whose owners ate meat and when aunty got to know my love to try chicken, she would save some for me on Saturdays and then call me sometime in the evening, so that my parents don't even get a scent of it and feed me chicken and rice. My friend and I used to go to the terrace, sit on top of the tank to finish my food and I would then brush my teeth before I enter my house. My mom however became party to this little secret in a couple of days as I can never stay without telling my mom everything.

Coming to my mock fish, we decided that we will stop eating chicken for health reasons. I found mock fish and chicken in Asian stores that are purely made of soy. It is amazing how they make the texture and shape to
look just like meat.

Mock Fish
Defrost the fish for about thirty minutes. In the meanwhile make a paste of lime juice,salt and chilli powder for the marinade. Apply the paste on both sides of the fish and let it sit for as long as possible (a couple of hours). In a pan with a tbso of oil fry the fish on both sides.


" target=_blank>http://india.blogstreet.com/bsibin/profile.cgi?url=shankari-rajesh.blogspot.com'>http://india.blogstreet.com/images/owner/profile.gif?EROGMVGV1155322789" border=0 />