/* */

August 14, 2006

Badam Puri at last..



Many of you had asked for the recipe for Badam puri, I atlast got around to making it last weekend and guess what ??? It got over the very next day. This was the 1st time I made them and was worried if it would taste as good as my mom's and I should say it did and was very very pleased with the results.

My mom did not make this when I was kid, I think she learnt this when I was in high school and ever since this sweet replaced all the other sweets as my most favorite. While I was working in Coimbatore, I told my dad that I missed having amma's badam puri and I had them by courier the next day (yeah , yeah I was spoilt rotten) . They even sent them over to the US with a friend of ours. So here goes the recipe, it is a little painstaking but worth every bit or should I say every bite.

Recipe

Ingredients

All Purpose flour/Maida - 1 cup
Almonds - 10 to 12 (soak and peel the skin off and grind to a very smooth paste)

Oil for deep frying

For Sugar Syrup

Sugar - 1.5 cups
Water - 3/4 cup
Saffron - A couple of strands
Cardamom - 1 powdered


Paste or padhir

Rice flour - 1/4 cup
Ghee- 1/4 cup



  • Mix the flour with the almond paste and knead to the consistency of chapathi dough, add a tsp of ghee to the flour while kneading.
  • Mix the ghee and rice flour till the paste gives a shine.
  • In the meanwhile, make the sugar syrup until it reaches a one string consistency, add the saffrond strands and cardamom powder to the syrup and set it aside.
  • Divide the dough in to medium sized balls ( instead I rolled it into one big chappathi and them cut them with a cookie cutter into smaller ones)
  • Take one of the rolled puri and apply the paste over it and add one more puri and continue this till u make atleast 6-7 layers, the last puri wont have the paste on the top.
  • Roll tightly to form a cylindrical shape and cut them into thin rounds and then roll them out to make a small puri
  • Deep fry the puri in oil and immediately dip it in the sugar syrup and take it out and arrange it in a plate.

I would like to submit this recipe for http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/archives/2006/08/01/food-parade-on-independence-day/. This recipe is painstaking to make , representing the struggle for independence and the results sooo sweet. I do not know the orgin of this sweet, hope you try this sweet and enjoy it as much as my family does!