/* */

October 19, 2006

Happy Diwali!

From Center - Coconut Burfi, Chakli, Thick Sev (omapodi),Ribbon Bakoda, Kaju Kathli, Badam Halwa rolled into bite Size pieces

Diwali always brings nostalgic memories of childhood, as a child I always wanted to know how much fireworks I could buy, if I can burst some as my older sisters always got a better share of them, I really did not care much for new clothes, but more concerned about what sweets and savories were made at home.

On D-day, We used to wake as early as possible and my mom would have woken up before us to arrange everything in the pooja room, the clothes,sweets and the fireworks , my mom will keep a little kumkum on the new clothes and we would return to the pooja room after a hot bath with oil and shikakai and then the fun began. We would run outside to compete with the neighbors on who would burst the most fireworks.

I miss that here but ah well, one cant have everything in life. This Diwali, I decided to make 6 snacks to denote the 6 years of our married life , so three sweets and three savories.

Sweets - Badam Halwa, Kaju Kathli and Coconut Burfi.
(I rolled the badam Halwa into bite size pieces , thanks Saffron for the neat idea)
Savories - Butter Murukku (Chakli), Ribbon Bakoda, Kara Chev

I decided to submit Ribbon Bakoda for the JFI. This is a recipe that I got from my mom as soon as I got married and it has been R's favorite ever since. Don't omit the garlic in this recipe, it makes it aromatic and tastes great! http://keeptrying.wordpress.com/2006/10/01/special-edition-jihva/
Here goes the recipe...


Ingredients

Rice Flour - 2 Cups
Channa Dhal flour - 1.5 cups
Dalia(pottu Kadalai) powdered - 1/2 cup
Garlic pods - 4
Whole red chillies - 6 to 7
Hing - A pinch
Salt - to taste
Butter - 1 Tbsp
Oil for deep frying

  • Mix all the flours together with salt and hing
  • Add the butter
  • Grind the garlic and red chilly finely with water to make a paste (strain it , so that you don't have the seeds in the way)
  • Add the strained water to the flour and bring them altogether as much as water is needed to make a dough (same consistency as chapathi dough)
  • Now using the tubular press, you can start frying them in hot oil.
  • Once they are fried, let the bakodas rest on a paper towel and then store in air tight container.
Happy Diwali to all of you and may this year bring all of us peace and all that we pray for.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home