Rave about Chicken Biriyani
Basmati Rice – 1.5 cups
Chicken breast/thigh – 1 lb (cleaned and cubed)
Onion – 1 thinly sliced.
Mint – 1 bunch
Salt – 1 tsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Tomato – 1 (roughly chopped)
Cilantro – ½ cup (chopped)
Garlic - two pods
Ginger – 1 tsp grated
To Powder (use mortar pestle/coffee grinder)
Fennel seeds - 3 tsp
Cloves - 3
Green Cardamom - 4
Cinnamon -1 inch (do not use powder)
Black pepper -10
Dried red chillies (add more if you like spicy) – 4
- Rinse the basmati rice in water and set it aside.
- Clean and cube a pound of chicken
- Vertically slice one large onion
- Heat oil in heavy bottomed cook pot.
- Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes until they turn brown, but take care not to burn it.
- Add the ingredients that was powdered and sauté for a minute.
- Add the paste and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes. At this point there should be no liquid in the pan.
- Add the chicken a give it a quick stir, the rice and stir in 2.5 cupsof water.
- When it comes to a rolling boil, close the pot with a tight lid and cook for 10-12 minutes.
I have done the stove top version and pressure cooker and both of them turn out fantastic. While making it on the stove top, please ensure that you have a tight fitting lid and you dont want the steam to come out.
Serve this with raitha.