Vegetable Cutlets and on live TV
When CBS13/CW31 sent me an email that they would be interested in having me do a TV segment, I was thrilled to bits. Cooking gives me happiness and promoting Indian cooking makes me even more happier.
We thought about what I should showcase to the audience and singled out Vegetable Cutlets, for the simple reason that it has simple ingredients, easy to make, something that everyone can relate to(burger?). Gave a quick call to amma to verify the recipe ( I always need that) and I was ready to rock and roll.
Mashed potato – 1 cup
Onion – ½ cup finely chopped
Carrots – ½ cup finely chopped
Peas – ¼ cup
Green Beans – ¼ cup finely chopped
Ginger – ¼ tsp minced
Garlic – ½ tsp minced
Oil – 3 tbsp
Garam Masala – ¼ tsp
Cayenne powder – ¼ tsp
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Salt – ½ tsp
All purpose Flour – 1/3 cup
Water – ½ cup
Bread crumbs – ½ cup
- Boil and mash the potatoes finely and set aside.
- Chop or use a food processor and mince all the vegetables separately.
- Heat a non stick pan with one tablespoon of oil.
- When the oil is hot, start by adding the ginger and garlic first and cook for 30 seconds
- Then add the onions and cook until they turn translucent
- Add the salt, cayenne, turmeric, garam masala and saute for 30 seconds.
- Now add the vegetables except the potato and cook for 2 minutes and switch off the stove.
- Mix the mashed potatoes with the other vegetables until they come together.
- Let the mixture cool. Make small round patties and flatten them between the palm of your hands with 2 tbsp of the mixture.
- In the meanwhile whisk the flour in water until there are no lumps. It would look like a crepe batter.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a non stick pan or cast iron skillet.
- When the oil is hot, dip the patties quickly in the all purpose flour batter and dredge it with bread crumbs and let the cutlets cook on each side for 2 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
Serve with ketchup on the side
Yield: Makes 8 to 9 cutlets
Make larger patties and serve them as a burger for kids.
You can make the patties and store in the freezer until you are ready to cook them. When you are ready to cook, dip them in the flour batter, dredge in bread crumbs and cook.
For a healthier version, spray the cutlets with Pam spray and bake in a preheated oven (350) for 15 minutes.