/* */

January 24, 2008

Steamed Nenthram Pazham - Steamed Plantain

My mom learnt this from our neighbor, Mrs. Varghese. They had this for breakfast and shared it with us. I was a baby then and have no memories of it. But it became a regular in our home when my mom could get a hold of nenthram pazham. When we went to India this time, my mom made it for me...the aroma of steamed plantain with coconut jaggery wafts in the air..yum

I made this at home one day for brunch after we found it our natural food store. The recipe is simple and very filling too.

Ripe Plantain - 2
Jaggery - 1/2 cup
Coconut - 1 cup
Cardamom- 1 (powdered)
  • Slit the plantain without separating it with the skin on.
  • Mix the coconut,shredded jaggery and cardamom in a bowl.
  • Slowly fill the plantain with the mixture and then tie the open end of the plantain.
  • Place the plantains in a steamer and let it steam for 15 minutes.
  • Untie the plantain, take the peel off and serve hot.
This goes to Jyothsna of CurryBazaar for RCI - Cuisine of Kerala.

Labels: , ,