I taught this sweet recently at class and my niece V was here at that time. She and Rajesh enjoyed the sweet a lot. I made the burfi in the morning, so I can measure and write the recipe down. When I came home from work, there were a couple piece left for me.
Unsalted Pistachios – 2 cups
Milk- 2 cups
Sugar – ¾ cup
Rose water – 3 T
Ghee – 1T +1/2 tsp to grease the tray
- In a food processor, pulse the pistachios to a fine powder or use a blender to do the same.
- In a heavy bottomed pan combine the milk and sugar and cook on high heat stirring continuously until it comes to a boil.
- Then reduce the heat, and let it simmer until the milk reduces in half.
- Increase the heat to medium high and add the pistachios and ghee and start stirring continuously till you see the mixture forms into a soft ball.
- Add the rose water and give it a quick stir and transfer the burfi to a greased baking tray.
- Smoothen the top with a spatula.
- When it is cool, cut in to 1 1/4 inch squares
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. ( If it lasts for that long in your house)