/* */

September 16, 2008

Pistachio Burfi



When Rajesh & I were newly weds, he would look at me like I was crazy when I would narrate incidents of what dishes I ate on a certain day, when I was 10 at so & so's house. I can remember what amma cooked for me on special occasions. Pista burfi is one such sweet that I had at a friend's place for Diwali and I came home and was mad at amma that she has never made them for me. I was really upset that I had lost so many years of my life not tasting pista burfi :).

I taught this sweet recently at class and my niece V was here at that time. She and Rajesh enjoyed the sweet a lot. I made the burfi in the morning, so I can measure and write the recipe down. When I came home from work, there were a couple piece left for me.

Unsalted Pistachios – 2 cups
Milk- 2 cups
Sugar – ¾ cup
Rose water – 3 T
Ghee – 1T +1/2 tsp to grease the tray

  • In a food processor, pulse the pistachios to a fine powder or use a blender to do the same.
  • In a heavy bottomed pan combine the milk and sugar and cook on high heat stirring continuously until it comes to a boil.
  • Then reduce the heat, and let it simmer until the milk reduces in half.
  • Increase the heat to medium high and add the pistachios and ghee and start stirring continuously till you see the mixture forms into a soft ball.
  • Add the rose water and give it a quick stir and transfer the burfi to a greased baking tray.
  • Smoothen the top with a spatula.
  • When it is cool, cut in to 1 1/4 inch squares
  • Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. ( If it lasts for that long in your house)

Labels: , ,