June 30, 2009
June 11, 2009
Wild rice salad
Wild rice – 1 cup
Vegetable Stock – 2 ¼ cups
Olive Oil – 2 T
Garlic – 1 clove, minced
Shallots – ½ cup, chopped
Red Bell Pepper – 1 cup, diced
Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
Candied Pecan – ½ cup
Carrot – 1 cup, grated
Dried cranberries – ½ cup
Firm Ripe Mango – 1 cup, Cut in large chunks
Salt and Pepper
- Add vegetable stock in heavy bottomed pan with a lid. When it comes to a boil, add the wild rice and let it cook covered on medium low for 40- 45 or until the rice is cooked completely.
- Stir the rice frequently so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Set the rice aside.
- Heat a sauté pan with olive oil. When the oil is hot, stir in the garlic and shallots and cook until the shallot turn translucent.
- Add the red bell pepper and cumin powder. Cook for another minute. Turn off the stove.
- Add the cooked rice to the sauté pan and mix it all well
- Stir in the candied pecans, grated carrots and cranberries and mix well so that they are well incorporated. Transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Check for seasonings. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with mango and serve.
Serve at room temperature or chilled.