Hot Hot...ooooo ... Very Hot (Green chilly in Tamarind sauce)
For all you out there who love spicy food, this is the perfect accompaniment to Dosa,Idli and we ofcourse have it with everything, rice, Upma, Chapathi and the likes
Green Chillies (Thai chilly) - 40
Tamarind - Size of a large lemon (soak it in hot water and take the pulp)
Sesame Oil (nalla Yennai)- 1 cup
Jaggery/Brown Sugar - 1 Tbsp
Hing/Asfotedia - A pinch
For the powder
Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Channa Dhal - 1/4 tsp
Dry roast all the 3 and blend it without adding any water to make it a fine powder
- Wash, remove the stem and dry the chillies thoroughly inorder to avoid them from getting spoilt. Make small slits in about 10 green chillies and leave the rest as whole.
- In a wide bottomed pan, heat the oil and add the green chillies, please be careful as they splutter.
- Add the hing and tamarind pulp and salt and let it simmer.
- Add the ground powder and then the jaggery.
- Let it cook and wait till the tamarind pulp is almost reduced.
- Allow it completely cool and then store in a dry glass bottle.
- In the end, season with mustard seeds.
We add a cup of oil , so that they act as a preservative and will stay from spoiling for more than a month and I keep it in the fridge.
Guys, please remember this is very very hot, so eat with care or face the consequences :)