Chicken (boneless) - 1.5lbs
To make into a paste
- In a thick bottomed vessel with oil, add the star anise and cinnamon.
- Add the ground paste ( the paste should be ground with little water as possible)
- Saute this for about 5 to 7 minutes until the raw smell goes away (now you kitchen will smell fragrant with the lemon grass)
- In the meanwhile have the chicken diced into cubes.
- Add the chicken and saute until it looks a little cooked.
- Top the chicken with coriander powder and the tamarind paste ( I dilued the tamarind paste in a little water.
- Add the coconut milk ( I reserved about 1/3 of a cup)
Let this simmer on medium low. K told me let it cook on medium low for an hour atleast until the coconut milk reduces and you get a thick gravy. When she called me while I was cooking, she asked me to add a handful of ground peanuts for the texture and was kind of enough to drop some off to me as I did not have any. So I pounded a fistful and added it to the curry.
I kept stirring the curry as I browsed through blogs. Since I had some more groundnuts left I sauted them with salt and chilli powder and a little bit of oil.
I cooked the rice along with the some coconut milk, a small piece of lemon grass. The smell of rice was fragrant.